Sunday, August 09, 2009

Sinus Surgery - Days Four and Five

By day four, I was ready to get off the pain meds and detox some. I was sleeping better at night also. The morning of day five I was scheduled to get my splints out. With most sinus surgeries, patients have packing or splints in their nose for a few days. The packing is like some sort of gauze and the splint is plastic. The people who had packing say the removal process was the most painful experience they ever had.

I was scheduled to have my splints removed at 8am. That morning, I took a hot shower and inhaled the steam. I used a saline nasal spray with q-tips to gently clean my nose. The process helped remove some of the dried blood and goo, but didn't disturb the scabs. When Dr. Walker removed my splints, it was not painful at all. By doing my saline spray every four hours and a gentle cleaning once a day, I didn't have a lot of dried build up, which would make the splints painful to remove.

No comments: