Wednesday, November 23, 2011

2005 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 issues with Transfer Case Switch

The 4x4 switch on my truck was acting funny.  Sometimes the buttons would have lights and sometimes they would go out.  When they went out, you couldn't switch into 4x4 and the Service 4wd light would come on.  Twice my wife was stranded in 4Lo!


After research online, I learned that a bad Transfer Case Switch could cause these symptoms.


From 2005 GMC Sierra Z71

You can read more about it here:

http://www.saltedwound.com/archives/2007/04/24/repair-service-4wd-light-on-2000-chevy-silverado/

The good news is:
  1. This could fix your problem (seems to fix mine) and its cheap.  I've heard car dealerships charge over $300 to do this and I bought the part for $70ish.
  2. Not only is it cheap, but its EASY to replace.  Just put the shifter in 1, the dash around the steering wheel and radio pops off, remove the module, and put the new one in.  The whole process took about 5 min. (Do this at your own risk!)
The bad news is:
  1. This might not fix your issue.
  2. I THINK I payed for the part twice!  Once because the government bailed out GM with my tax money (and the Genuine GM part was made in CHINA!)  Kinda crazy...
You can find the part at www.gmpartsdirect.com.  Just search for part number #15136039 (or the one that's on your switch)  I think they changed the part number, so it may be #19259313.

No comments: