Thursday, August 06, 2009

Sinus Surgery - Day One

The actual surgery is not a big deal. I was really nervous, but after the first IV, I was completely calm and didn't care what the nurses did to me. In the blink of an eye, the procedure was done, and someone was rolling me out to the car. At this point, I didn’t feel any sharp pain, just a bit sleepy, and a small burning sensation in my nose.

From Sinus Surgery

Now, this is the most important place after your sinus surgery, the Pampering Operations Center (POC). Not to be taken lightly, the POC is where you will spend the next 5 or 6 days and nights - so it better be comfortable! Key features might include:
  • Recliner - you can sit or recline back, but it provides a nice head position with your head above your heart. It should be angled toward your plasma TV.
  • Clorox Wipes - place around your house for the visitors you have. You don't want to get sick! If you vomit or sneeze after the sinus surgery, it could be painful! They say, if you need to sneeze, do it with our mouth open.
  • Spit Cup - You'll probably spit blood for the rest of the week as it drains from your sinuses.
  • Frozen Beans - or something cold to place on your forehead.
  • Fan - With all the blankets, you may get warm.
  • Humidifier - HANDY! With the tubes, dried blood and other funk in my nose, I kept the humidifier running 24x7. Because you can't breath out your nose much, your mouth gets dry, and the humidifier keeps it moist.

From Sinus Surgery

During the first day, the meds from the hospital were still in my system, so I thought I felt better than I did. There were no sharp pains the first day, but there was a dull burn. Almost like when you get water up you nose in a pool, and the chlorine burns a little.

The routine for the next 5 days pretty much consists of
  1. rinse nose
  2. eat
  3. take meds
  4. sleep or rest for 4 hours
  5. return to step 1


And finally, here is a picture 12 hours after surgery.

From Sinus Surgery

No comments: